Learning and Development Q & A
How do I start a learning and development program for my organization?
a. For starters, you need to make sure upper management is on board and is willing to do their part in holding people accountable.
b. Review job descriptions and make sure they align with what people are doing. [This is a time-consuming process that could reveal some people are working outside of their job description, while others aren’t being held accountable for theirs.]
c. Next, work with managers or supervisors to develop career pathways and KPIs for reach position.
d. Then, start developing performance objectives with each pathway.
e. Next, start pairing skills with objectives and identify training that helps master the skills to meet objectives.
f. Identify trainers (internal and/or external)
g. Create a consistent training schedule that the majority of managers and supervisors agree will work for their team.
h. Invest in a Learning Management System that allows you to:
- Assign training to job positions
- Keep track of employee training records
- Send information about courses
- Register for courses and notify managers
- Track pathway completion for employees
- Track safety and other certification renewals
- Upload modules, eLearning, assessments, and other training-related documents
#employeeretention #learninganddevelopment #workforcedevelopment